Thursday, May 13, 2010

Moving is never a passive experience

Coming home from college has always been a relieving experience for me. I would get done with finals, pack up my belongings, and drive home to spend a month or a summer with my family. I take the spare bedroom (now that my old room has been commandeered by my little brother) and set up shop, visit with old friends, and relax until I have to go to school again. I did this for 4 years, rinsing and repeating, knowing in the back of my head that this life I was living was temporary. I knew that this day would come.

This morning, I packed up my room and left Flagstaff for good. I went through the motions, but once I hit the road and watched the town disappear into the forest, I felt how final it truly was. I was moving on...and for two hours I let myself reflect and cope with the past 4 years of my life.

I've grown, but not grown up. I have experiences that I wouldn't trade away for anything in the world, and each and every one of them is a good one. I've met people from all kinds of places and all different walks of life, and I can safely say that I love each and every one of them dearly. Yeah, sometimes we fight and disagree, but I never forget the reason why we were friends in the first place, and that keeps our relationship intact. I can also say I have no regrets. As long as I approached every situation with my whole heart and self, I knew that I would be alright in the end.

Now I'm here...sitting in the spare bedroom, consolidating my material possessions and preparing for the next step in my life. The hardest part is saying goodbye because I knew that things would never be the same. Some of these people I will never see again. Moving away and moving on are two different things, and I have to still work on the latter.

As I work on that though, I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy. Kenya is a full time endeavor, and acquiring sponsors and donations is going to be hard work (so if you know anyone who wants to help, let me know!). I have a new Canon 7D to get use to. Cameras should be so familiar that they feel like part of your body, and it still feels a bit foreign at the moment. Oh, and who can forget that lovely thing we call money? I still have to pay the bills, so bring on the odd jobs and employment! And all the while I'll be plotting my next move. Where will I go next? Where will I live? What will I do? It's all part of the game I suppose, and I'm here to play.

So to all my college friends: I will miss you all dearly. Please keep in touch, and I'll try to do the same. More importantly, never forget the good and crazy times we all had. Those memories are worth more than you know. Let's work on making those dreams come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment