Thursday, April 28, 2011

Korea 2011 - At the Airport....yet again

So it's literally been a week since I've been in the SFO International Terminal. I recognized the gentleman at the currency exchange, and the guy at the sushi bar asked me where I was going this time. I fly too much...

This one feels different though. I mean, I'm going to be gone for an entire year. I had to pack differently, say goodbye to alot of people, and just overall approach this trip with an open mind. Strangely enough, I'm very calm through all of this. The only thing I'm really kinda freaking out about is the whole idea that I'm a teacher.

Let's tackle that for a second. I'm teaching English....to children....in Korea. What?! Are you serious? I went to school to be a filmmaker. Contrary to popular belief, I don't always know what I'm doing. I firmly believe in the whole process of 'trial by fire', but this is taking that theory to new extremes. I hope those kids don't eat me alive.

To add to the list of stuff I don't know about, here's a quick bulletpoint of things I'm still 'in the dark' about:

  • Where exactly I'm living
  • Who I'm living with, or if I'm living alone
  • When my first paycheck comes in. (I'm living off of $500 at the moment)
  • Transportation
  • Where my school is
  • Who my co-teacher is
  • If I even have an orientation
  • What 'level' of English I'm teaching
  • My dress code
  • The Korean Language
Yeah....I may be pushing it. Not only that, but I did have to check in my precious Pelican with all my camera gear in it. I know Pelican's are ruthless in terms of protecting gear, but I still don't trust baggage handlers. Say a prayer for my L-Glass...

Anyways, I'll get you guys all updated when I get over there. Everything always works out. Pictures to come once I get all settled into the apartment. I'm ready...let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment