Sunday, May 15, 2011

Korea 2011 - That time Ryan was on TV...

With the help of my co-teacher and one very nice cab driver, I was able to find a taping of a popular Korean television show called "Dreamteam." I honestly couldn't tell you what the whole premise of the show was (it is in Korean after all), but from watching a taping of an episode, this is what my interpreted synopsis is:

A bunch of heartthrob manly men dress up in costumes and compete in a variety of events for the prestige of winning some kind of tournament. Each week a new event is introduced, and the players carry on from week to week. Only one man can become a member...of the Dreamteam?

Yeah, I had no clue what was going on. The event this week was some kind of platform-battle. Each contestant had a pad, and they tried to knock the opponent off a platform into a giant pool of mud water. The crowd cheered for their favorite as the looser swam in a pile of filth. You can add insult to injury as a guy in giant panda suit ended up beating the crap out of Jack Sparrow. If only the producers didn't make me erase my images....that picture is gold.

It was an exciting afternoon, but after 3 or 4 matches I got bored of the actual competition itself and started looking at how they were filming the entire thing. I won't plague you with film jargon, but just know that these guys either had some pretty advance equipment or really didn't care that an unhealthy amount of cable was running through the giant vat of water.

Also, the guys were fighting like 2 feet above the water. I don't know about you, but after growing up with the Joust from American Gladiators (and seeing it live too), you have alot to live up to.
Oh, the glory days of competition. And spandex. 
I'm going to try to see if I can get a DVR recording of this show, as the jib operator knew that I was a foreigner and I caught him filming me alot. Also, having some guy in a bow tie yelling at the top of his lungs for a guy in a dinosaur suit to fight a ninja is quality programming. The ninja won by the way...the dinosaur was very top heavy.

3 comments:

  1. So it is like American Gladiators...but without the American part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically...and without the awesome of Nitro and Thunder jacking people up in Powerball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it better if you end that sentence right before "people"....

    ReplyDelete