Sunday, March 25, 2012

Don't Give Up

The past week has been very crazy both my personal and professional life. Gearing up to leave Korea has been a lot harder than I thought it'd be. I should have known, though...I mean, you can't spend a year in one place and not grow attached in some sort of fashion. I'll be posting something on that in the future.

But for now, I thought I'd take a minute out of the craziness of the day to share something one of my students wrote last week. I had them all write letters to children in Tumaini as an English assignment, and I'm immensely proud of the work that they've done. Now I have 300 letters on my desk to read through, sort, package, and send off to Kenya. Stoked!

Anyways, in the mass of letters there are a ton of really well written ones. Believe it or not, kids are pretty caring when they want to be. One letter did stand out, and it was his P.S. that really got me. It looked like this:
Keep going. Do not give up. In this world there are many chances...
Now take a step back and realize that a middle school wrote this in a language that isn't his own, and an already prolific statement just became something damn near tear-jerking.

Everyone can learn something from this kid, and I'm just here to confirm what he is saying. The more I travel and the more I see, the more I realize how big this world is. It's really big. And there is so much out there to do and see. I think we lose sight of that, especially when we have a wealth of knowledge at our fingertips yet we wrap ourselves in our every day lives.

These days, hope is a rare commodity. People lose it more and more each day. They feel trapped and lost, and the world seems like it's a very hostile place to be. I'm not going to lie: it is. And you will have to fight for the things you want in life. But there are always opportunities out there. And if a 15 year old in Korea can understand that, then so can you. Just keep going.

1 comment:

  1. Awe.... my students take a half an hour to understand that martin luther king jr was in the USA in 1960s, let alone what he did.

    ReplyDelete