Monday, April 2, 2012

T-33 Days

My flight is booked: May 6th will be my last day in Korea. It's been one hell of a ride, and picking up my American life again will definitely take some time.

It's weird...last night it was raining incredibly hard. Thunder was echoing through the apartments across the street. An orange glow from the street lamps illuminated the streets below. I ended up staring out my 4th floor window for a good hour, just absorbing my surroundings.

I never noticed this before, but the seasons have a distinct smell here. I can't describe it. They just do. Now that winter is over and spring is here (in theory), those smells of when I first came to Korea are coming back again. I tend to tie memories and how I was feeling at a certain time to a smell. I know the smell of my grandfather's house or the smell of my car. I know this smell, and it takes me back to those feelings I had when I first landed here.

It's that sense of wonder and excitement...not knowing what adventure was waiting for you. I love that feeling. I thrive on it, and ever since I've started traveling it's been an addiction of mine. Those feelings are coming back again, and my next adventure is still up in the air. Whatever it is, I'm excited to see where it takes me.

Korea's been good to me. I'll be writing about it soon. There will be tears, and there will be laughs. And the man I was when I pulled up to my apartment in Wau-ri is drastically different from the one that will be hopping on a bus here in 4 weeks.  That's the fun part, and I greet it with bittersweet excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment