Sunday, May 11, 2014

Travel Moms

My mom is one of the strongest people I know. And yes, I think every one of us who love our mothers tend to say that. They raise us, teach us, and are always there for us for the good times and bad. They share in our successes, weep in our sadness, and lift us up when we need it the most. 

But my mom is special. She's a travel mom, and that makes her job much more important to people like me.

Travel moms have a difficult job. When their children leave the nest there's always the expectation that they'll still be there within reach for the important moments. Holidays, birthdays, graduations, weddings; I was raised in a family where any excuse to get everyone together was exercised. My greatest memories are always made with family, and I could travel the globe for the rest of my life searching for what I already have back home.

I've missed a lot of those moments in the past few years. Three of the last four years were spent abroad. I'm missing yet another Mother's Day. That's where the life of a travel mom gets complicated. 

I'm not a mom, but I could imagine how hard it is for a mother to be there for a child from 8,000 miles away. You want to be an active part of their life no matter where they are. You selflessly want them there with you to share in life's moments all while wanting them to go light the world on fire. How do you balance that? 

For my mom, I know I've definitely put her through her fair share of worries. A good chunk of that gray hair is from me, and as much fun as I've had I'm sorry for keeping her up late at night.

So for Mother's Day this year I want to thank you, mom. I want to thank you for always being there for me and always giving me a place I can call home. I want to thank you for the countless trips to the airport and the signs you make for me when I come home. I promise I will always come home. 

I can't imagine how many times you've had to answer the question "Where's Ryan?" and explain why I do what I do. I wasn't joking when I said I created this blog for you. I hope it made it easier for you to share in the adventures I've had the fortune of partaking in. 

Most of all, I want to say that I love you and that you give travel moms a wonderful name. I'm not sure where life will take me next, but I know that it'll be a trip worth taking knowing that you're always in my corner. 

I'll see you when I get home, travel magnets in hand like always. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment